Wednesday 10 April 2013

Kingfisher & Sand Martin at Amwell & rye meads

With the sun showing itself today I take a trip over to Amwell as I see that Sand Martin had been seen yesterday, Brian & Jimmy had seen one at K G Reservoir but I missed it, I know I will see plenty in the next few weeks, but see it as soon as you can is my motto.
A quick look over the lake & I see a Little Gull, Water Rail running in & out of the reeds, plus plenty of normal stuff, like a couple of Snipe, 2 Redshank, Teal, Gadwall, a tree full of Cormorant, B H Gulls everywhere.
Then I spot 3 Buzzards just circling around over head, as I watch them I pick up 20 or more Sand Martins up above them, so target bird for the day seen.178 for the year.
As I watched a Cormorant flies past & turns upside down & twists itself round in flight, this maybe normal for the bird to do this ,but I had never seen it happen, none of the other people standing with me had seen it happen before.
A Cetti's Warbler is heard & then drops into the small trees at the side of the water it gives a quick view.
As I walk back I see some Chiffchaff in the trees, also many Dunnock are in & out of the bushes.
Off now to Rye Meads a couple of miles away.
I head down to the Kingfisher hide, there are a lot of big people in the hide, a few with massive camera lens all trained on the bank in front of us, the bird had not been seen for over an hour, but I got lucky as soon as I sit down the Kingfisher flies onto the branch by the bank, it sets off quite a  noise with all the cameras clicking together. I stay & have a talk with a couple of nice fellows for a short time, then it's off home.
                                                                                                     
         
Water Rail

                                                                      Small but a record shot                                                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment