Tuesday 17 July 2012

Marbled White Butterfly

After being told where to see this lovely Butterfly, I decide to go to Canvey Island as it is a warmer day and I think they will be a lot easier to see with the sun out.
It takes about 40 minutes to get to the football club on the island which is where I need to be to see them.
I park easy on the side of the road and walk the few yards up to the beach wall, the slope down from the wall is covered in small flowers and I walk through them in the hope of pushing the target up to see.
After just a few minutes I catch sight of just one flying about, it lands in front of me and I get a photo before it is off. I spend the next hour walking about without seeing anymore.
Marbled White
A couple walking their dog stop to ask what I am looking for, I tell them, and show them the photo I had just taken, they tell me they walk the dog along here every day and had never taken any notice of what was flying about them, but they say maybe it will add to their walk in the future. 
I am a little bit disappointed at not seeing anything more by the sea wall, so I head for Canvey Marsh to spend a couple of hours. as I park in the car park a couple are standing in the rough grass and taking photos of something, as I get near to them I can see it is alive with Butterflies all the way along the the side of the car park for about 1/2 mile.
If I had known I would have come here first, I see dozens of Marbled White Butterflies, in fact they are everywhere you look.
Also Small White, Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper, Red Admiral, Essex Skipper and Comma.
I spent so long looking at all the activity of the Butterflies I had no time left to go and do any Birding.

If anybody is reading this and wants to see a lot of Butterflies and bugs, I would absolutely recommend you try this spot. I must say as I talked to people who where also into watching the Butterflies, we all agreed we had seen more Butterflies today than all year, maybe I just got lucky and picked the right day or as soon as the sun shines this is the place to come.


Small White

Red Admiral
 

Marbled White


 

Essex Skipper
 
Gatekepper

Marbled White
                                                                                               
Add caption
         
 



No comments:

Post a Comment