Monday 18 May 2015

Lifer in Hampshire, Greater yellowlegs at last.

Meet up with Brian at a family gathering on Saturday & he greets me with the words Hampshire in the morning, I reply what time.
So we pull up at Tichfield around 7.30 only to find the reserve is shut till 9.30, another fellow tells us that the bird has been seen around the other side at Posbrook flood & we follow him around in the car,a bit off a walk when we get there but we do meet up with the couple of fellows that had found the bird back in January & they tells us that the bird had been seen here from tine to time.
Unfortunately for us it's not here today.
So we go back & wait for the reserve to open, we pay the £4 fee & walk to the north scrape where we see Med Gull & Avocet  plus Swallow & many Black-headed gulls but no sign of the target.
After a few hours 1 Godwit drops in to get us excited but nothing follows it in, then Jimmy gets a surprise when his pager tells him that the Yellowlegs was on the scrape in front of us, there is only about 6 people in the hide & none of them had posted it, so where is it, then another fellow gets a message to say the bird has been seen from Knights bank hide that is right round the other side of the reserve, so we all march at a fast pace back up to the road by the sea wall & take the long walk to the hide.
The hide is packed & we have to wait for a gap to look out over the scrape but at least the bird is present & we soon get onto the bird, it's a long way off so no photos today.
A nice long look at the Yellowlegs through the scope makes it all worth while the wait & long walk
The fellow that we had meet earlier stayed with us all morning, he resides in Brighton & it was nice to spend the time with him, let's hope we bump into him at another twitch.
Before heading home we call in at Acres down, as soon as we arrive a Wood warbler is heard & then seen flying from tree to tree, so another bird that we don't need to see on our trip to Wales next week.
Redstart & Willow warbler seen but no more ticks for the day, so off for home with a lifer in the bag & a nice day birding in some really nice warm weather.
Where we saw the Greater yellowlegs
This fellow just popped in to say hello.
A very friendly Water vole

3 comments:

  1. Jim I want to say hello again sir. I met you around March I think, in Hertfordshire - we were looking for a Lesser spot woodpecker I don't think you saw it from your blog, nor did I - I was the bloke new to all these wonderful birds and had to leave early that morning - I saw it a day or two afterwards. I hope to see you out sometime again and I will say hello and thank you as I do now for your kind words and encouragement - this morning was my first Dartford Warbler down in Surrey and like you said I will enjoy the newness of it all - I pretty much see something new every week. My name's Dan - enjoy yourself ok take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dan,
      Nice to here from you, glad you are enjoying yourself birding. Let's hope we bump into each other somewhere along the way to catch up.

      Delete