Tuesday 15 January 2013

Goosanders at Lee Valley

A trip over to Fishers Green to try for the Bittern & to get some year ticks as well.
The first bird to be seen just by the car park is a single Goldcrest. 

Goldcrest
It stays about for a good time so a good start to my visit.
Into the Bittern hide now, there has been no sign of it so far today, but I do see 2 Water Rail walking across the reeds in front of the hide.
About an hour later still no sign, so off on a walk to see whats about.
I have to walk all the way down to the Grebe hide before anything shows.
As I get near to the hide I bump into Harry, he tells me that he had just seen 5 Goosanders from the hide, as we stand talking we see about 50 Siskin mixed in with some Redpoll filling the tree.I say goodbye to Harry, & go in the hide, I see the Goosanders straight away, but only 3 females are showing, they are a long way out so no photo. 
A single Pintail also seen. I am told a male Smew is on Friday Lake, but I give it a miss today.
Back to the Bittern hide for one more look, but before I go in I see a couple of Treecreepers in the picnic area. 
A time spent in the hide is to no avail so I shoot down to the farm for the Egyptian geese, I see 10 in the field, so a few ticks today.
A really nice morning walking round, it's cold but still pleasant. I have had a good talk to some new people I met in in the hide, so off home for some lunch.






No comments:

Post a Comment