Friday 10 August 2012

Wood Sandpiper, Cornmill Meadow

 After not seeing the Wood Sand yesterday, Jimmy & I decide to get up early to try before he has to get off to work, so up at 4 30 & get in the hide before 5 o'clock.
It is really misty looking over the scrape, it is going to be a nice hot day, so we sit & wait for the sun to burn off the mist a bit, this starts to happen just about 20mins past 6, we see a single Black-Tailed Godwit, which is good for Jimmy as this is his patch & he needed it for a year tick.
Stuart turns up now as he told me he would see me here today to try & find the Wood Sand.

Unfortunately for Jimmy has to leave us now to get to work, and all he has seen is the B T Godwit, better than nothing I suppose, but he really wanted to see the target bird for his patch.
I stay & keep looking as the mist is going away fast now, after another hour Stuart has to leave to take his wife shopping & still no bird, but we did see 2 Snipe & 2 Green Sandpiper & the Yellow Wagtail came back to give us a nice show.

I stay & keep looking & I am joined by a couple of more birders to help me scan the scrape, 4 B T Godwits arrive and are in great colour, the Snipe are still here as well, 10 Greylag geese fly in, then in the far corner of the scrape 2 Sandpipers are seen,  they look to be different, so I ask one of the fellows to get a scope on it & bingo one of them is the Wood Sandpiper, seeing the two birds together it is easy to see the  taller more elegant Wood Sand & in the scope the long eye stripe is visible.
It has taken 3 trips and a lot of hours, but the target has been seen, this is a first of the year tick for me.
Peacock Butterfly

Peacock Butterfly
Jimmy & Brian already had one this year so it's nice to get this one for myself
 When I get home a walk out in my garden & I spot my first Peacock Butterfly of the year, not a bad day & the sun is beating down so great.


No comments:

Post a Comment