Wednesday 8 August 2012

Holly Blue & Green-Veined White

An  early morning trip to Cornmill Meadow in the Lea Valley looking for a reported Wood Sandpiper.
Holly Blue
It is only 8 miles from home, so I am soon walking to the hide to start looking, on the way I spot a Holly Blue Butterfly and get a nice photo of it.
Into the hide now, a single birder is there already I say good morning and he tells me he has not seen the Wood Sandpiper yet,  we keep looking
but no sign of it.
I spend 2 hours in the hide talking to Stuart Hamilton who it turns out  is on   his home patch, and as it is my son Jimmy's patch as well it was good to get his views on birding. and he knew a lot of the fellow's we bump into on the trip's we go on.
We have given it a good shot but all we see are 5 Green sandpipers, loads of Lapwings, a nice Yellow Wagtail flies in and lands on the bank of the scrape which was nice, a Kestrel lands in a tree and it give us a nice view, a few Buntings & Warblers are popping in & out of the reeds, a  Grey Heron shows on the middle island for a nice photo shot.

Green-Veined White

A pleasant couple of hours, but it's time to get going home now, before I go I get a quick photo of a Green-Veined White Butterfly. which is the first for the year for me.
A nice view from the hide.
I arrange to meet Stuart really early tomorrow morning to give it another go for the target bird.
Green Sandpiper


No comments:

Post a Comment