Monday 16 September 2019

Spurn Barred Warbler plus Grey Phalarope.

A short break in Yorkshire with my wife Jean
allowed me to pay a few early morning visits to the Spurn sea watching hide.
It was a very pleasant experience indeed with some really nice birders to pass the time with, but unfortunately on all 3 days I was there nothing very much passed through & I never got any ticks on the sea, but on the first day while sitting on the bench in front of the hide word spread that a Barred Warbler had been seen,everybody moved off to see it & I followed thinking it would be a long walk but was pleasantly surprised to find it was only 20 yards away at the Warren at the back of the sea hide.It was showing well to give me a nice year tick.
I had to wait till Thursday around tea time when Brian sent me a text saying a Grey Phalarope had turned up on the sea at Spurn,so only being 3 miles away at the time I shoot off & find the bird with ease just along the beach from the hide, so a good year tick.
With the break over I head for home but take a detour to Blacktoft sands in the hope of picking up a tick as a Spotted Crake had been about for a few days.
I have to walk to the third hide & after 10 minutes or so the Crake walks out of the channel to show very well in the scope but a long way off.
 seen from the Warren


No comments:

Post a Comment