Tuesday 21 May 2019

Whiskered Tern & Roseate Tern Dungeness ( Lifers )

A late call from Brain around 1 O'clock tells me that he is going to Dungeness as a Whiskered Tern was being seen from Burrowes Pit.I tell him I'm up for that & will meet up as soon as I can.
I shoot home from a hospital appointment & pick up Jimmy then meet up with Brian at usual place.
With fingers crossed we arrive around 4 O'clock & get a shock when we find only one other person inside Dennis hide.
The lady tells us the Whiskered Tern had just been seen by other birders that had left the hide but she couldn't find it so we set about finding it & it only takes us 5 minutes before the bird flies across the pit & gives us great views as is skims the water feeding to give all 3 of us another Lifer.
We get the lady onto the bird that is a lifer for her as well, by now the hide was starting to fill up.
After an hour we have had some great views as the Tern kept flying around the pit but on 3 occasions it landed on the shingle island not far from the hide.
A trip round to Littlestone in the hope of finding me the Serin that the boys got on Saturday.
We meet Marco while here & he had heard the Serin but had not had any real views of it.
A few more birders join us but as we scan for the bird news comes on the pager that a Roseate Tern had just been seen along side the Whiskered Tern on Burrowes pit.
So as that is a lifer for Jimmy & myself we stop the search for the Serin & head back to the hide.
Once inside we are put onto the Roseate Tern as it settled on the nearest scrape along side the Whiskered Tern. Another lifer ticked & this one we have wanted to tick for some time now.Jimmy had dipped a few times on the Roseate so really special for him,I think it's the first time of trying for me so a real bonus. When I was walking out of the hospital earlier today it never crossed my mind that I would tick 2 lifers this afternoon so I call that a real bonus.
The Roseate tern
Whiskered Tern Dungeness

No comments:

Post a Comment