Wednesday 16 March 2016

At last our Little Owl shows at Roding Valley

I have been over my local fields a few times looking for the Little Owl that has been around for the last three years, the Parakeets have been flying around the Owl tree & I was worried that they had sent it away.
Then my wife Jean came back from walking our dog this morning & tells Jimmy & I that our neighbour had seen the Owl for the last two days in the usual tree by the play ground.
So without even having a cup of tea & I can tell you that never happens we are looking around the group of trees where the Owl sits.but we see no sign of the Owl, just about to give up & try again later when Jimmy thinks he may have it sitting right up against the trunk in a v shape making it really hard to see, a great spot by Jimmy as I also get on it & we get better views now that we know where it is. So really nice to know it is still about & just over the local field down my road, we have been trying a few different places looking for a Little Owl thinking our local one had done a runner & had dipped so a real bonus this morning.
Jimmy & I dipped on Monday as we went to Shut Heath Woods to look for the Lesser-spotted Woodpecker that Dave had seen over the weekend, we see many Treecreeper the odd Nuthatch a couple of flocks of Goldcrest that was nice to watch, also seen Great-spotted & Green Woodpecker some Redwing
but no sight or sound of the target bird, nice to meet Steve G again & have a talk while we are searching for the Lesser.
                                                                                 
                                                                           
Last years photo
Shut heath Goldcrest
Redwing
The Little Owl

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jim, Thanks for letting me know this. I followed these owls here last year and counted three in residence. Got some good shots too. I shall have to go down and see if they are about again, though it looks like the owl tree has been seriously pruned - hope that doesn't put them off.
    Cheers,
    Andy (andywak14@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete