Friday 25 September 2015

Right place right time to get Acadian Flycatcher, Dungeness.

On a few days break with my good lady on the Kent coast, I had just parked up to have a look around the Dover area when my phone goes off, it's Jimmy to tell me a mega had just been reported at Dungeness, It's only 29 miles so I just had to head off there.
The journey seemed to take ages with road works & getting every traffic light on the way.
On arrival people are spread out all over the shingle by the boats & containers, I speak to a fellow & he tells me he had seen the bird a couple of hours ago & that we are looking where he had seen it but it had not been seen since.
It's not a very nice day with a lot of rain about, where ever you looked people were searching for the bird. After about an hour I just happen to look back towards the path where the houses are & a fellow was waving towards us so I call out to all around me & we all head over with great pace to the garden of one of the houses & pretty soon a group of maybe a hundred are looking at this cracking little mega bird, at first it's seen on the house gutter & then it drops onto a bench by the front door & then goes back & forth to the over bench on the over side of the door, it then keeps popping up on top of a water butt at the side of the house.
I had the camera out but it was to quick for me to get anything worth having, but before I leave John Pringle turns up & he gets some great shots & better still he has sent me a couple of great photos of the bird so thanks very much to him for that.
With this mega ticked time to head back to Dover to finish what we were doing before the phone call.
Next day I head off to Sandwich Bay & at the bird observatory I am told that a Red- footed Falcon was just down the road , so a quick walk with a couple of other birders down the field by the river & over the railway line to roaring gutter just by Worth marsh where I get a quick view of the Falcon before it flies off a post & up into the trees, one of the over fellows gets his scope onto it but it's pretty much hidden so with Jean waiting in the car I can't give it any more time so the camera stays in the bag, shame as I am told later that it was there all day & the post was it's favourite spot, still another year tick not to bad a mega one day & a nice year tick on the next.
 John Pringle's photo.
The Acadian Flycatcher

No comments:

Post a Comment