Sunday 22 June 2014

A week late but Eagle ticked.

Last Sunday the boys went to E Sussex & got good views of the S-t Eagle plus a nice Honey Buzzard,I was not able to go with them due to family coming as it's fathers day & it would have been very rude to just shoot off to see just a bird,they don't understand.
So with the boys teasing me ever since I wait till Thursday & see the bird still being reported I have to give it a go, I talk Jimmy into coming with me & we arrive about 10 o'clock at Gill's lap car park.
A lot of birders about looking for it, it's a nice warm day & it's a nice place to be, but the bird is not going to show for us today.
The trip home took for ever with the traffic really bad & of course when we do get near home the pager tells us the bird is in the trees viewable from the car park, not a good day.
So still a loser I get up really early on Saturday morning, get over the bridge before you  have to pay,I know it's only £2 but it feels good, on arrival the place is packed birders all over the place.
I stand talking to some birders that I have meet at other places, they have spent the last 5 hours driving down from Durham & it is one of them that spots the Eagle perched in trees a long way off but it feels great to get a view of the bird at last.

Short-toed Eagle

Over the next couple of hours we get great flight views as it comes nearer to us, it is a great bird to see, we see the bird grab a snake & eat it while it's on the wing. what a relief to join the hundreds that have seen this bird over the last few days.
Also seen a nice Redstart & 3 Stonechat.


Redstart

No comments:

Post a Comment