Monday 28 October 2013

Great October eight lifers + two year ticks.

The month started very badly with a few dips, mainly at Lynford looking for the Two-barred Crossbill.
Then things started to pick up for me & the boys when we got a great view of the Red-breasted Flycatcher  at Warham in Norfolk (1 ) next up we get the Lesser grey Shrike at Capel fleet (2), while here we get a year tick as well in Lapland Bunting.
Off on a roll now the best day of the month starts at Cley where I see my first Long-eared Owl,(3) I had made this bird my one to see this year as I had dipped on it last year a couple of times, so a great start to the day for me.
Pallas's Warbler(4) is the next lifer for me on the same day at Warham Green, I had also dipped on this bird earlier in the year so this is also sweet for me to pick it up here.
Still on the same day we head to West Runton for our first ever Dusky Warbler (5) a really great day only a couple of hours from home.
Then it's off to Hayling Island & we see the Semipalmated Plover on the beach, this is lifer number (6) for the month, a funny little bird that I'm not to sure it was worth the really bad soaking we all got, still we had a really good laugh about it on the way home, it would not have been quite so funny if we had missed the bird.
Also a year tick picked up while near here with the Red-breasted Goose.
The last weekend of the month See's Jimmy & myself finally get to see a Two-barred Crossbill (7) that we had dipped on four times before at Lynford, the views we get more than make up for the dips that  we had on the other occasions 's. To make the day even better is also seeing a Parrot Crossbill (8) at the same place.
I think Jimmy is going to get a day off on Wednesday so maybe we might just add to the October list.
It's been a great month for us with plenty of birds seen & meeting some really nice people & some new places visited.


No comments:

Post a Comment