Tuesday 19 March 2013

Green Sandpiper at Waterworks N/R

Looking on London Birders I see a Little Owl posted at Waterworks N/R in Leyton.
I have never been there before, so I give it a try.
It turns out to be a really nice place to pass away a few hours, I walk down to the hide as told, I expect to see the normal shape building for a hide, but not this one, it is a long corridor with windows down each side, you walk down to a roundabout at the bottom also with windows all round, it gives great views over each scrape.
I start off looking for the Kingfishers that have just been seen in the last couple of days, no luck this time, but a Green Sandpiper drops in, I need this for a year tick,( 164 ).
As I move round looking out of each window, I see a close up Heron, some Pochard, a few Teal, Shoveler,
Tufted Duck, also sitting in a bush over looking the pond is a Sparrowhawk.
I meet a nice fellow & spend the next couple of hours with him, we walk over the road to the stables to look for the Little Owl,I never got to see it, but the walk & talk was very nice.
I will be back soon to try for the Owl on another day.
I am only 2 miles away from Abney park cemetery, so I pay a quick visit to look for the Tawny Owl, that has been posted.
When I get there the office is shut so I have no idea where to look, so a it's going to be a hard job to locate it. I ask a few people if they know of it's where abouts, but most don't know what I am talking about.
So with only a little time to play with, I give up, but I will be back.
Over all not to much about, but a really nice few hours spent birding.

No comments:

Post a Comment